Head of Data Engineering
About Paidy Inc.
Paidy is Japan's pioneer and leading BNPL service with the mission to spread trust through society and to give people room to dream.
Paidy offers instant, monthly-consolidated credit to consumers by removing hassles from payment and purchase experiences. Paidy uses proprietary models and machine learning to underwrite transactions in seconds and guarantee payments to merchants. Paidy increases revenue for merchants by reducing the number of incomplete transactions, increasing conversion rates, boosting average order values, and facilitating repeat purchases from consumers.
Paidy continues to innovate to make shopping easier and more fun both online and offline. For more information, please visit http://www.paidy.com.
Reporting to the CTO, the Head of Data Engineering will lead engineers and technical leads driving the vision, design and implementation of data platform. This position and department will collaborate with other engineering peers, Sales and Marketing in order to set the data strategy to bring data into information to derive business value and aid business decision.
Also work closely with Finance to serve data as analytics and financial statements, for both internal and external parties.
This leader should have a strong vision and ensure compliance with security and legal / regulatory requirement; also good judgement of risk and formulate necessary plan.
This is a manager role; team / people management is part of the key responsibilities as well.
Key Role and Responsibilities
● Lead company-wise data platform design and implementation
● Manage the growth and scaling of data platform in accordance to Paidy products and growth
● Oversee and react to the data flow/data pipeline changes and manage its impact to data platform
● Manage data providing and exchange with different technical parties
● Being part of the various group as domain expert on data engineering perspective; including architecture review board & data governance
● Provide guidance at implementation level and conduct regular review on design & code base
Leadership & Management
● Manage a department of 7 engineers
● Maintain engineering productivity ensuring that work life balance is maintained.
● Define metrics of success for the engineering teams
● Drive the execution and delivery of features and new products
● Define and drive working model and best practice within the department
Skills and Requirements
● A Bachelor's Degree/Diploma in Computer Science, Information Technology or a related subject
● Strong technical knowledge at architect and proven people management experience
● 10+ years designing, building, shipping, and maintaining efficient, reliable data pipelines, and data models as part of a data warehouse solution
● Experience with Agile development methodologies
● Experience with high throughput real-time / streaming data pipeline design
● Strong knowledge on Java; knowledge on Python will be a plus
● Strong knowledge on various RDBMS and NoSQL technologies; including PostgreSQL & Elasticsearch
● Passionate and significant experience in building highly scalable, distributed, fault-tolerant and extensible platforms
● Effective interpersonal and communication skills, specifically a demonstrated ability to effectively guide and influence within a dynamic matrix, multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment
● Able to communicate difficult technical concepts clearly to a variety of individuals of varying technical expertise and understanding
● Detail-oriented, creative problem-solving skills, and get the right things done
● Highly organized and capable of providing appropriate technical leadership while requiring minimal day-to-day guidance
● Design and Implement appropriate data architectures, infrastructure, data pipelines and enablement tools, processes, and controls to help the Data Engineering team grow at scale
● Strong and good knowledge on finance or accounting. related operation, data modeling and regulatory requirement
● Paidy team will ask about your user experiences with Paidy Apps during the interview. Please download Paidy App and try it out!
- iOS: https://apps.apple.com/jp/app/paidy/id1220373112
- Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.paidy.paidy&hl=en&gl=US
For those who are not able to download Paidy App, due to the regional restrictions, please be advised that you download the similar App, such as Klarna, Afterpay, Affirm and so forth, and come up with your opinions on these applications and services.
● Please note that you must be eligible to work in Japan
What We Offer You
● Diversified team with 150+ colleagues from 30+ countries
● Exciting work opportunities in a rapid-growing organization
● Cross-functional collaboration
● Flexible work-from-home arrangement
● Competitive salary and benefits
Be a winner / 勝ちにこだわる
- Beat expectations / 常に期待値を超える
- Display surprising speed / 人をスピードで驚かす
- Embrace risk / リスクを恐れない
Own it and deliver / 結果を出す
- Commit to what, when and how to deliver/ 目的・やり方・期限にコミットする。
- Own the actions to deliver / 結果のためのアクションにこだわる
- Embrace conflict when needed to deliver results / 必要なら対立・衝突も恐れない
Play an integral role / 大切なピースになる
- Make an irreplaceable contribution to our business / 替えの効かない貢献をする
- Embrace and bridge differences in language and culture / 皆が言語と文化の架け橋になる
- Raise the bar / スタンダードを上げ続ける