Software Engineer - Consumer Finance Engineering
About Paidy Inc.
Paidy is Japan's pioneer and leading BNPL service with the mission to spread trust through society and to give people room to dream.
Paidy offers instant, monthly-consolidated credit to consumers by removing hassles from payment and purchase experiences. Paidy uses proprietary models and machine learning to underwrite transactions in seconds and guarantee payments to merchants. Paidy increases revenue for merchants by reducing the number of incomplete transactions, increasing conversion rates, boosting average order values, and facilitating repeat purchases from consumers.
Paidy has reached an agreement to join PayPal, the global payments company. Paidy will continue to operate its existing business, maintain its brand, and support a wide variety of consumer wallets and marketplaces by providing convenient and innovative services.
Paidy continues to innovate to make shopping easier and more fun both online and offline. For more information, please visit http://www.paidy.com
This position is for a Software Engineer, reporting to the Consumer Finance Engineering Manager, who will help design and develop projects integrating with APIs for credit card integrations and other financial service products. The position calls for an engineering role, meaning someone who can also lead projects from design to completion.
Our tech stack includes:
- Docker-based microservices written in the Rust Programming Language
- Other Paidy microservices written in Scala (outside the team, but have occasional interactions with these services in our team)
- AWS Services (fargate, RDS, lambda) with PostgreSQL DB
- Circle CI + terraform provisioning and deployment
- Linux/MacOS development environment
- HTTPS, SSL, X.509, and other secure technologies for secure communications
- HTTP REST and GraphQL APIs (JSON data)
- Kafka Message Queueing
Your Duties & Responsibilities
- At least 3 years of backend development in multiple modern programming languages (C/C++, Java, Rust, Scala, Golang, Python, etc.)
- Experience with designing software both from the ground up and making changes to existing applications (OO-design, Microservices, functional design, DDD, Domain/Protocol separation, etc.)
- Knowledge of systems development and operations (Docker, Redis, SQL DBs, AWS, Source-control, CI/CD systems, etc.)
- Understanding of OO-design principles
- Understanding of functional programming paradigm and methodologies
- Business-level fluency or higher in English
The following are encouraged, but not required:
- Development experience with multiple programming languages
- Some knowledge of or experience with functional programming.
- Experience in the Fin-Tech industry, especially with banking systems and/or credit-card processing systems.
Skills and Requirements
- 3+ years experience with multiple backend programming languages
- Business-level or higher English (both reading and writing)
- Prior Rust or Scala experience is NOT a requirement
- Conversational fluency in Japanese is a plus (NOT required)
- Understanding of software engineering principles (OO, Functional Programming, software design, etc.)
- Paidy team will ask about your user experiences with Paidy Apps during the interview. Please download Paidy App and try it out!
- iOS: https://apps.apple.com/jp/app/paidy/id1220373112
- Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.paidy.paidy&hl=en&gl=US
- Please note that you must be eligible to work in Japan.
What We Offer You
- Diversified team with 150+ colleagues from 30+ countries
- Exciting work opportunities in a rapid-growing organization
- Cross-functional collaboration
- Flexible work-from-home arrangement
- Competitive salary and benefits
Be a winner / 勝ちにこだわる
- Beat expectations / 常に期待値を超える
- Display surprising speed / 人をスピードで驚かす
- Embrace risk / リスクを恐れない
Own it and deliver / 結果を出す
- Commit to what, when and how to deliver/ 目的・やり方・期限にコミットする。
- Own the actions to deliver / 結果のためのアクションにこだわる
- Embrace conflict when needed to deliver results / 必要なら対立・衝突も恐れない
Play an integral role / 大切なピースになる
- Make an irreplaceable contribution to our business / 替えの効かない貢献をする
- Embrace and bridge differences in language and culture / 皆が言語と文化の架け橋になる
- Raise the bar / スタンダードを上げ続ける