Legal & Compliance Manager
About Paidy Inc.
Paidy is Japan's pioneer and leading BNPL service company. At Paidy we believe in creating simple, instant experiences to take the hassle out of shopping with a touch of magic.
Paidy offers instant, monthly-consolidated credit to consumers by removing hassles from payment and purchase experiences. Paidy uses proprietary models and machine learning to underwrite transactions in seconds and guarantee payments to merchants. Paidy increases revenue for merchants by reducing the number of incomplete transactions, increasing conversion rates, boosting average order values, and facilitating repeat purchases from consumers.
Paidy has reached an agreement to join PayPal, the global payments company. Paidy will continue to operate its existing business, maintain its brand and support a wide variety of consumer wallets and marketplaces by providing convenient and innovative services.
Paidy continues to innovate to make shopping easier and more fun both online and offline. For more information, please visit http://www.paidy.com.
The Legal ＆ Compliance Manager has in-depth knowledge and experience in corporate legal, commercial legal and regulatory/compliance functions. Certain experiences in managing internal compliance programs will be a plus. The candidate can understand and solve complex problems within an organization.
This position entails commercial legal counsel function and regulatory/compliance audit function both of which require cross-functional collaboration with other departments. Communication skills in English is a must.
The candidate takes responsibilities on commercial legal including legal review/consultations with different departments ranging from regulatory, commercial, labor and to other fields. The candidate shall also lead discussions with a wider PayPal legal community regarding any group integration tasks.
Key Role and Responsibilities
- Corporate Legal
- Providing advice regarding corporate governance
- Handling any changes in corporate matters (e.g. directors and paid-in capital)
- Handling intra-group restructure and contracts
- Reviewing and drafting internal rules and regulations
- Commercial Legal
- Reviewing and drafting commercial contracts
- Providing advice to relevant business stakeholders as legal counsel
- Managing regulatory licenses under the Installment Sales Act including having a good relationship with the government agencies to maintain relevant licenses
- Managing periodic internal regulatory audit within the organization
- Group Integration
- Leading the discussions with a wider PayPal Legal community regarding any legal integration tasks.
Skills and Requirements
- Attorney at law qualified in Japan
- Ability to communicate and collaborate cross-functionally
- Ability to provide legal advice to internal business stakeholders
- Strong educational and/or occupational background in legal and compliance
- Minimum of 3 years work experience in legal and compliance fields
- Native-level Japanese
- Business-level English
Nice to have
- Work experience in government relations and/or in-house legal.
- Work experience in a legal/compliance role at financial institutions is a plus.
- Paidy team will ask about your user experiences with Paidy Apps during the interview. Please download Paidy App and try it out!
- iOS: https://apps.apple.com/jp/app/paidy/id1220373112
- Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.paidy.paidy&hl=en&gl=US
For those who are not able to download Paidy App, due to the regional restrictions, please be advised that you download the similar App, such as Klarna, Afterpay, Affirm and so forth, and come up with your opinions on these applications and services.
- Please note that you must be eligible to work in Japan.
What We Offer You
- Diversified team with 221+ colleagues from 37+ countries
- Exciting work opportunities in a rapid-growing organization
- Cross-functional collaboration
- Flexible work-from-home arrangement
- Competitive salary and benefits
Be a winner / 勝ちにこだわる
- Beat expectations / 常に期待値を超える
- Display surprising speed / 人をスピードで驚かす
- Embrace risk / リスクを恐れない
Own it and deliver / 結果を出す
- Commit to what, when and how to deliver/ 目的・やり方・期限にコミットする。
- Own the actions to deliver / 結果のためのアクションにこだわる
- Embrace conflict when needed to deliver results / 必要なら対立・衝突も恐れない
Play an integral role / 大切なピースになる
- Make an irreplaceable contribution to our business / 替えの効かない貢献をする
- Embrace and bridge differences in language and culture / 皆が言語と文化の架け橋になる
- Raise the bar / スタンダードを上げ続ける